Mittwoch, Februar 14, 2007

Soul Mates – A Two-Lettered Taunt?

Soul Mates – A Two-Lettered Taunt?


I like the word ‘soul’ and the word ‘mate’ but soul mate? It’s a term that alternately beckons and taunts me.

I grew up convinced there was this one perfect soul mate for me somewhere in the universe and that the cosmos would conspire to throw us together. The problem with the erstwhile theory is the number ‘one’. If you really jell well with someone and it doesn’t work out, does it mean that he was not your soul mate and just a sore loser in the game of ‘My Life – A Glorious Fairytale’? Can there not be more than one soul mate for each one of us in life? Conversely, does one’s soul mate have to be the person you end up with in life? Is it not possible that a friend or a parent or a sibling or a virtual stranger could be your soul mate while the one you are bound to in life is well just a partner?


I am not sure I believe in the concept of a soul mate anymore. I don’t think any one person can know and understand another being perfectly sans misgivings. I still am not fully convinced that life becomes a smoother journey with a companion by one’s side. And I definitely don’t believe that someone else could make me happy. When I am happy with someone, it’s because I choose to make myself happy. For all my pals who are sublimely enjoying the company of those whom they consider soul mates, I am really glad. I am all for love and companionship, but the concept of soul mate is just a two-lettered taunt – a taunt that one has to look outside oneself for fulfilment. Well, so there’s something to chew on, soul mates – a reality or a taunt?

1 Kommentar:

ram hat gesagt…

:-) I like the way words flow in this passage...
I do think that soul mates do exist for many people. It is an active choice one makes...like you said "When I am happy with someone, it’s because I choose to make myself happy." it is possible that one can choose a person to be his/her soul mate. Ofcourse, as you say he or she need not be one's partner.

From my experience, like you, I also feel that no person can know another fully...but God does. I think God is the best companion to walk with. Life becomes easier when He is around...there is a little story about who He is...maybe you already have heard abt it...perhaps a reminder...
a man in Heaven was looking back at his life on Earth and saw there were two foot prints throughout his life...one of his own and the other was of God's...but at difficult times there was only one...So he asked God why He had let him down during those difficult times.
God replied, "No, I did not let you down. I was carrying you on my arms during those difficult times" The maker of all knows exactly who you are. He loves you for what you are and it is always easier to live life with your dearest friend.
For me, it is a gift to have many friends who believe in God...that way, I get to share my experience of God with them...perhaps He is my true soulmate...